Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Feathered Heart.....Machine Quilting



Machine Quilted Feathered Heart




White Cotton Fabric, Cotton Batting, 

White Cotton Aurifil Thread,

80/12 Sharp Needle







Trace heart shape onto white cotton fabric







Question mark shapes......feathered spine lines







I stitch from the bottom of the heart...

I can see better when stitching out the feather plumes







Begin stitching plumes up the right side of the heart...







The right side of the heart is all stitched with plumes







I am ready to begin stitching plumes 

on the opposite side of the heart...







I would normally stitch this out without stopping,

but I am taking it out so you can view the progress.







On the left side is my sketch on paper...

on the right is the heart ready to stitch the next section.








Both sides of the heart have been stitched with plumes







I will begin stitching in the center area of the heart...

My sketch will show you where I plan to stitch next.







I have filled up the right side of the center area...







I will begin filling in the opposite side of the heart center...







It's almost done...















The heart is completely feathered...







I sprayed water and removed the blue markings.






Here is a chocolate heart I feathered.







I am working with a Bernina Artista 200







Before machine quilting...

I usually warm up with a feather design.







Gunnr....a 93 pound boxer, keeps me company...

he snoozes under the sewing machine.





You are welcome to print out the sketches below

and follow along with me:

































CLICK HERE to view my online Quilting Sketch Book



CLICK HERE to view my Machine Quilting




CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

15 comments:

  1. So nice of you to share and allow us to 'follow' along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you. What an excellent tutorial to such a beautiful feathered heart. Thank you. I'll update my original post with your drawings, to show a link to this post. Absolutely stunning.

    But I'm now curious how you manage to get close to your machine with Gunnr "under" it. Looks to me that you'd have to be a foot or two away from your machine, or have Gunnr on your lap. Although he is so cute.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I love feathers so I will just have to give this a try...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your great tutorial.
    I love Gunnr and we have a boxer puppy now. He's 8 weeks and sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellence tutorial! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful heart, perfect for V-day.
    My dog has a bed under my machine also, only difference is, she's 4 1/2 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, LuAnn!! I appreciate how you walked us thru your feather technique. I always learn so much from you and your sketchbook too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work LuAnn! I really had fun making my feathered heart. I just might have to try another one as reading your great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your feathers are just beautiful, LuAnn, thanks so much for letting us "see" how you do this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post! Thank you for the very detailed directions and allowing us to follow along. I always love feathers and your's are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate your sharing; my feathers have improved since I've been visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you LuAnn!
    This tutorial is wonderful.
    I tried to make a heart like yours, I guess have need to try harder *smile*
    Follow you now ☺
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the way you filled the space is awesome. Thanks for the details, so we can play along. I think I shall have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Спасибо! Подробно и понятно!

    ReplyDelete